a worship thought...How Great is Our God!
One of the things that I really like to do is break down worship songs & think in depth why they have meaning. This is one thing that I really look forward to sharing in this blog...insights spur on other insights & the more we share...the more we are all enriched as we worship with these songs.
Currently one of my favorite songs is "How Great is Our God" by Chris Tomlin. Following are the lyrics:
How Great is Our God
Chorus
How great is our God
Sing with me
How great is our God
And all will see how great
How great is our God
Verse 1
The splendor of the King
Clothed in majesty
Let all the earth rejoice
All the earth rejoice
He wraps Himself in light
And darkness tries to hide
And trembles at His voice
And trembles at His voice
Verse 2
And age to age He stands
And time is in His hands
Beginning and the End
Beginning and the End
The Godhead three in one
Father Spirit Son
The Lion and the Lamb
The Lion and the Lamb
Bridge
Name above all names
Worthy of all praise
My heart will sing
How great is our God
There are a number of things that I really like about this song:
(1.) It is the "How Great Thou Art" of this generation. A contemporary cry of the greatness of God. Simple, yet profound in it's nature, which is what makes it so powerful in a congregational setting.
(2.) There is a call to worship within the chorus. I can remember thinking at one point that it is rather odd of me to be proclaiming His Greatness in one breath then exhorting my peers in the next, but it makes perfect sense. As we see greater revelations of His Greatness, it is only natural for us to turn to our peers & say, "are you seein' this?...sing with me!"
(3.) Each one of the verses pulls out specific truth about Him that we are declaring as Truth. He is clothed in majesty...wrapped in light in which the enemy cannot stand up against. He is the beginning & the end...Father, Spirit, Son...strong as a lion...gentle as a lamb. Truth that we are declaring!
(4.) Perhaps one of my favorite parts of the song is when we finally get to the bridge where the song lifts & we give description to His Greatness...Name above all names...worthy of all praise! Every portion scriptural, which brings power in every word I say.
(5.) I love the part that says, "My heart will sing, How Great is our God!" The reason I love this part is because we must recognize that we are human...we don't always feel like worshipping. I mean, I'm a worship leader & I'm not always there. There are times when we must overcome our will with obedience & speak out that "My Heart Will Sing!" Not, when I feel like it...or if it is convenient. No..."MY HEART WILL SING!" Because He is worthy of it!
I know, nothing hugely profound, but I just really like to think through what the songs mean to me that we are singing. These are my thoughts...I really do believe that we can benefit so much when we share what is inside of our hearts with others. Do you have any additional thoughts about this song...any different angles on any of the phrases. Please, take just a moment & add your thoughts to enrich all of our worship!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home