Thursday, April 06, 2006

A Worship Thought - "Hungry"

It has been years now since this song was first introduced, but it continues to be one of those refreshingly simple worship songs that I often go back to in my times of worship. Here are the lyrics:


Hungry
Hungry, I come to you for I know you satisfy
I am empty, but I know Your love does not run dry
And so I wait for You so I wait for You

I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus, You're all this heart is living for

Broken, I run to You for Your arms are open wide
I am weary, but I know Your touch restores my life
And so I wait for You so I wait for You


There are a number of things that run through my mind as I worship with this song:

Hungry
The title of this song speaks a lot about what this song is all about. It expresses what we need our heart to be all about in worship, this desperate need for more of Him. I go back to times when I have gone without food for periods & how my body begins to ache & long for nourishment. It is a reminder to me that our spiritual body needs that nourishment from Him as well...we NEED Him!

Declarations
You don't have to spend too much time with me talking about worship to realize that I love songs that declare something to be true in faith. Through each of the verses of this song...it is declaring "...for I know..." I know that He satisfies, that His love doesn't ever run out, He is waiting with open arms, His touch restores my life!

Wait...
"So I wait for You." One of the disciplines in worship is to find the peace to shut your own mouth so that He can move & speak. Too often I feel like I need to be singing or speaking something...playing something cool on my guitar. It is a lost art to wait...listen. I love just hanging on that pre-chorus & waiting...

Falling
The natural expression of these things is to fall in front of Him & worship Him...to tell Him that I want so much to give Him all that I am & all I have, to express to Him outwardly what is happening on the inside, to lower myself in order to exalt Him!


So the question begs to be asked..."are you hungry?" What are your thoughts when you worship with this song? What are the things that you think about as you sing these lyrics to Him in worship? Please, share your thoughts we all can benefit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home