Entertainment Sickness!
Sunday afternoon, I was on my way to my mother-in-law's house for a Memorial Day get together & ran into a traffic jam. As we approached we can to realize that there was a major accident right in front of our friendly Wal-Mart. I didn't think much of it because there are regularly accidents through there. However, as we approached, I realized that this one wasn't quite like the normal fenderbender. They were detouring traffic through the Wal-Mart parking lot to keep the traffic flowing, but what I saw next was what turned my stomach.
As we were going around, I got a glimpse of the accident & it was obvious that it was a bad one & someone was likely hurt. This is where it gets sick. We were trying to go around it, but there were crowds of people rushing towards it. There were crowds of people standing feet from the car...peering in to get a glimpse of...well, a bloodied person...possibly dead. Flocks of people walking towards a horrific scene as though they had tickets to a show. I had a number of thoughts at this sight.
What is TV doing to us?
It is a normal sight anymore on TV for us to see a graphic scene of an accident or a crime scene...blood & all, but it was obvious that those people didn't discriminate that from reality. There were police officers holding up white sheets trying to keep the crowd from seeing all the details, but like blood-thirsty entertainment vultures...they just kept swarming. We are a sick people!
Is this person real?
On TV there are disclaimers saying something like, "No one was harmed during the filming of the movie!" Well, at this scene...someone was seriously hurt! That was someone's mother, father, sister or brother! Think of the disrespect...if that was my family member...let's just say it wouldn't have been a pretty sight.
Well, as you can see...I had some strong feelings about it, but I bring it up as a self-evaluation for us. Are you so desensitized by media that when something horrible happens you are more interested in seeing it, or is your first thought...how can I help? Our instincts tell us alot about ourselves. Does your drive for entertainment outweigh your respect for life & humanity? If we aren't evaluating these things then our CSI molded minds will make every setting like this into an entertainment source & not what it really is...a tragedy in need of helping hands, not spectators. What are your thoughts?

1 Comments:
I agree with you 100% One of my fellow workers and friend lost her grandpa and brother in that accident her grandmother is still in the hospital. My sister in law stopped and helped she was first on the scene. She stayed with that litttle boy the entire time he passed away in her arms. So for those that were just there to watch shame on you, help is always needed in situations such as a horrible wreck such as that one.
9:42 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home